- Carl Stephens from the Darlington Club recently arranged the first
online broadcast of a game from the Durham League! In the future he hopes to
have two live games running per night.
- The Durham County Congress is coming up in just a few weeks' time
- have you entered yet? For the entry form
- New DCCA Grader required! Stan Johnson has been doing this job for the
last 25 years, and he would like to step down. It would suit anyone with an
interest in computers and maths.
- Dates for your diary – the next DCCA Executive Meeting will be held at
Hetton WMC on Tuesday 17 April, and the AGM at Antioch House (the home of Durham
City Chess Club) on Wednesday 16 May.
- A DCCA Executive Meeting will be held on Tuesday 16 January at Peterlee
Chess Club (Peterlee Labour Club SR8 5SN) starting at 7.15 p.m.
- Malola Prasath has informed me that the DCCA Junior Championships will
be held in Coxhoe Village Hall on Saturday 24 March, from 10.00 a.m. to 5.00
p.m. Further details to follow.
- The NCCU Club Championships will be held during the first half of 2018,
with four sections – Open, Major, Minor and Seniors. Can your club enter one or
more teams? For details
- Some very sad news from the Northumberland Chess Association website:
Bob Forsythe, a well-known figure in North-East chess for many years, passed
away earlier this week.
- GREAT NORTH Junior London Qualifier and Blitz Tournament for all –
Saturday 9 December. For information and entry form for this event, please
- The entry form for the 2018 Durham County Congress has now been
finalised. Please click here.
- Please note that the venue and contact details for the Durham
University team have been changed.
- Graham Matthews is asking teams in the Ron Evers Tournament on Tuesday
28 November at Hartlepool to arrive by 7.00 p.m. in time for a 7.10 start.
- League Rule 5 has now been amended slightly...
- In the League Rules, please note the change to Rule 5 concerning the
time limit and the use of digital clocks.
- In the Rules for the Ron Evers Tournament, Rule 1, concerning the
players eligible for a team, has been modified.
- The minutes of the DCCA Executive Meeting, held on 19 September, can be
- Congratulations to our President, Bryan Bainbridge, who has
received one of the ECF President's Awards for Services to Chess! The details
can be found here.
An Executive Meeting
of the DCCA will be held at Hetton Workingmen's Club on Tuesday 19 September at
Click here for the Agenda.
The Chester-le-Steet Congress, organised by Tim Wall with arbiter assistance
from Brian Towers and Paul Bielby, was held over the weekend of 18-20 August. It
attracted 53 entries and produced the following winners:
(FIDE-rated): Charlie Storey and David Walker 4/5.
Major: Robert Clegg (Huddersfield) and Robert Dean (Pudsey) 4/5.
Challengers: Vivien Webster (Calderdale) 5/5.
- Another belated post. The DCCA Junior Championships were held on 25 March and
produced the following winners:
Under-18 - Sam Neil
Under-15 - Jared
Under-13 - Edwin Smith
Under-11 - Ashwin Amtharaj
Best Girl -
However, the overall winner was a visitor, 7-year-old Daniel
Shek from London!
- The new ECF grading list was
published a couple of weeks ago. To check on individual or club grades,
- Rather belatedly, here are
the winners at the DCCA Congress, held in Houghton-le-Spring over the weekend of
Open: Andrew Burnett (Scotland) 4½/5;
Major: David Hall
(Scotland) and Robert Clegg (Huddersfield) 4/5;
Minor: Christopher Sayers
(South Shields) 4/5.
Thank you to Lara Barnes for supplying the link to the
full list of
- Congratulations to South
Shields on winning the 2017 NCCU Senior Club Championship. On the South Shields
Club website there is a
report by Paul Bielby.
- Tim Wall is proposing to
set up a North East League during the coming season. As Tim says:
idea is to provide serious, FIDE rated league games for ambitious, aspiring
players in Cleveland, Durham and Northumberland – without having to travel long
distances away from the North East.'
Click here to read the proposal.
- Several County Durham
players took part in the 104th British Championships in Llandudno from 26 July
to 6 August. International Master David Eggleston had an excellent result in the
British Championship itself, scoring an undefeated 6 points from 9 games,
including a draw with the top seed David Howell.
Click here for results.
- Grandmaster Danny Gormally
is giving a simultaneous display at Darlington Chess Club on Monday 11
September. Contact Carl Stephens if you would like to take part (07581 069 774).
- The annual
Chester-le-Street Congress will be held at
Park View Community Centre,
Church Chare, Chester-le-Street, County Durham DH3 3PZ,
on August 18-20, with a £1500 prize fund. There will be four sections: Open
(FIDE-rated), Major (under-160), Challengers (under-120) and Junior (born 2001
or later; under-100).
The organiser is
Tim Wall, Email: email@example.com
-The play-off for the DCCA Division B trophy has been won by
South Shields, who defeated Durham City Canons 4-1 in the final. In
the semi-finals South Shields needed a replay to beat
Gateshead 4-1, after the first match ended 2½-2½. Durham City Canons
also won 4-1 against Darlington Locos.
- DCCA Play Offs for
trophy are as follows:
City Canons v
Shields v Gateshead
are to be played by the
14th May 2017.
- DCCA Play Offs for
Division C trophy are as follows:
v Darlington Quakers
Auckland v Peterlee
are to be played by the 14th May 2017.
- The Final Scoreboards for the Individual Ch. are HERE.
- The members of Thornaby Chess Club
would like to invite all DCCA members to a one day Rapidplay event,
being held in the Thornaby Pavilion, on Saturday 17th
June. This event is to commemorate ten years since the club’s inception
and also to remember one of our founder members, who died so tragically
young in 2010, Mike Closs.
Members of the public, as well as CCA members, are also being
encouraged to take part (hence the wording on the form) in an effort to
attract new people to the world of club chess. Please click on the link
to download a copy of the Entry Form.
- The Fourth Scoreboards for the Individual Ch. are HERE.
- The Third Scoreboards for the Individual Ch. are
Second Scoreboards for the Individual Ch. are HERE.
Pairings for the Final Round of the Ron Evers are now on the Ron Evers
page. The venue is Hartlepool and they are providing all the equipment.
- Durham University is holding another blitz 7pm on Tuesday
7th February at Durham Student's Union (Dunelm
House, New Elvet, Durham DH1 3AN). Link to Event.
Durham University fixtures are now on the League Fixtures page. Note
they are listed as Home and Away, so teams know the correct board
colours, but remember all their fixtures are played at their club.
First Scoreboards for the Individual Ch. are HERE.
details of the Durham Schools Team Ch. and Problem Solving contest on
Saturday 28th January, see this Poster.
for Durham University are now available on the Club Information page
and their fixtures are being added to the League Fixtures.
Pairings for the 2nd Round of the Ron Evers are now on the Ron Evers
service for Roger Simpson is to be held at Durham Crematorium on
Wednesday 7th December at 1.30 p.m., followed by refreshments at the
Duke of Wellington. So that the family has some idea of how many to
cater for, if you intend to come to the pub after the service would you
please inform Ken Neat by phone (0191-3864795) or email (kp.neat@
gmail.com). The Duke of Wellington (postcode DH1 3QN) is at the
junction of the A167 and Lowes Barn Bank.
Neat has told me the sad news that Roger Simpson has died, and will let
us know if he hears about the funeral arrangements.
Pairings for the 1st Round of the Ron Evers are now on the Ron Evers
list of Seeded Players is now on the website.
League Rules have been updated.
23.9.16 - Last year's results
are now being moved to the Archive.
- Entry details for the 2016-17 NCCU Club
- The August ECF grades used for the season are